Friday, February 19, 2010

The Purpose Driven Life - What Drives Your Life?

My husband and I recently joined a pretty unconventional Bible study group. It is actually called The Encouragement Group and it meets via Facebook! (Told you it was unconventional!)




There are about 70 members from all over the country. We are reading the book A Purpose Driven Life together, and every day we comment on what we have learned from that day's chapter. We just started on Wednesday, so if you would like to join in the group, just go here. I'd love for some of my blogger friends to join! :)

Today's question is, "What drives your life?"

It took me a while to figure out what really drives my life. I would love to say, "service to others" or "service to God" but I know that's not the case. I even put my poor husband on the spot, asking him what he thinks drives me. But as soon as I asked him, it became clear to me.

I know what drives me - praise and affirmation from others. I always want people to like me, to approve of me and what I am doing. I become far too focused on pleasing others, and not pleasing God. Ultimately, what drives me is my own selfishness and self-centeredness. Ouch!

This quote seems to be speaking right to me: "You weren't put on earth to be remembered. You were put here to prepare for eternity." That's going on a sticky note in my office today. :)

Take a minute to think about that question and comment below - what drives YOUR life?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the reason we seek other peoples approval is because we really want Gods approval. If other people think we are doing a good job then maybe God will too. The problem is, like the song goes " You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself" but it really should go ."you can't please everyone so you got to please your Lord"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! It makes you think differently. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete