Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Learned Something New the Other Day...

My friend Katie gave me a bit of advice I thought I should pass along to you all. When we went to register for gifts, I knew I didn't want "real" silver. I just can't imagine asking people to spend that much on silverware! So I figured we would just pick out a decent set we could use for every day but that would look nice enough to use when guests came over.

So I picked a not-so-expensive set from Onieda. They were pretty and I liked the shape, and I thought that was just about all there was to picking out flatware.

Au contraire. Apparantly, there is a tricky little fraction that makes all the difference. Notice that some flatware says "18/0" while others say "18/8" or "18/10". Note: The 18/0 will rust. I had no idea! And of course that is what I picked. The fraction has something to do with the amount of nickel in it or something like that. But the bottom line is, if you want the stuff to last, pick a "18/8" or an "18/10".

Thanks Katie for the insight!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the info! My current set gets rusty if I let it sit too long in soapy water. Now I know what to register for in the future.
    ~another weddingbee.. rnc620

    ReplyDelete