Monday, March 23, 2009

The Five Love Languages

This past weekend, my fiance and I had our third pre-marital counseling session. I guess I haven't mentioned this before. Yes, we are doing pre-marital counseling and I HIGHLY recommend it for any other engaged couples out there!

This past Saturday we discussed the Five Love Languages, based on a book by Gary Chapman. You may have heard of this, but just in case you haven't, here is the blurb about the book:

Are you and your spouse speaking the same language? While love is a many splendored thing, it is sometimes a very confusing thing, too. And as people come in all varieties, shapes, and sizes, so do their choices of personal expressions of love. But more often than not, the giver and the receiver express love in two different ways. This can lead to misunderstanding, quarrels, and even divorce. Dr. Gary Chapman identifies five basic languages of love and then guides couples towards a better understanding of their unique languages of love. Quality Time, Words of Affirmation, Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. Learn to speak and understand your mate's love language, and in no time you will be able to effectively love and truly feel loved in return. Skillful communication is within your grasp!

There is a short test online where you can discovery your (and your significant other's) love language. Here it is: http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/30sec.html#love

My love language: Physical Touch. By far. The second, however, is Quality Time.

My fiance's love language?: Acts of Service. And then, Quality Time.

These weren't suprises to us, but they are good reminders! Do you know your love language? What about the love language of your significant other?

3 comments:

  1. I heard this is a great book and I have been meaning to buy it and read it with Mr. FF! We are going to do Premarital Counseling and I think it will be great for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this book. Still trying to convince Mr. Airforce to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad gave us two copies of that book when Gary and I got engaged. He told us to both read it and highlight the things that were important to us and then trade books. My love language is Quality time and Gary's is Words of Affirmation. Understanding each others love languages and what they mean to us has deffinetly helped us through hard times! Great book!

    ReplyDelete